Monday, March 30, 2009

4th and 18

At church yesterday we had a combined meeting for the adults for the 5th Sunday. The bishop addressed us and it really impressed me so I would like to write down my thoughts. He gave a number of 41% and said that along the Wasatch Front only 41% of the young men from 12 years old to 20 receive the Melchizedek Priesthood and are active in the church. We LOSE almost 60% (this number is a little lower for young women). He talked very boldly and to the point. Satan is working overtime and we have no more time to be idle and procrastinate. He gave the analogy-It's 4th and 18 (if you don't know what that is, BYU was down against Utah 10-9. Max Hall got sacked on 3rd down to make it 4th and 18. He threw a 'Hail Mary' to Austin Collie and we ended up winning the game.) We have no more time. We need to teach our children now. We need to be examples to them now. He said there are a few that think that general conference is a day off (as well as stake conference). But that's when the prophet of our church speaks to us. If we go to church on Sundays and then "take the day off" during General Conference weekend, it is confusing to our children and sets a precedent. Children are very observant and notice what's important in their parents' life. The bishop said Life is hard, the Gospel isn't. I love that quote and will use it more often. 
The counselors also addressed us about self-reliance. They, too, were blunt. Many will need to get rid of their recreation toys, second homes, satellite dish, vacation plans. The church welfare program sustains life not a lifestyle. 
I also went to the YW General Broadcast on Saturday. President Monson was so powerful. Among many valuable and inspiring words, he said we don't have the 10 suggestions but the 10 COMMANDMENTS. The world will disguise evil and make us believe that it's okay to be sexual permissive if we are safe. The prophet said IT IS NOT! Powerful, powerful words. Return to Virtue.
My cup is full and then I get to look forward to General Conference. 

2 comments:

Sandra said...

Charalece - your blog is great! I appreciated your thoughts and words. I couldn't agree more!

I'm impressed with your coupon shopping. That's awesome, how do you do it?!?!

Glad that you are doing well. I love blogging - it's a great way to keep in touch.

mjnetty said...

I'm glad you wrote these things down. I will have to come back to this as a reference. I enjoyed that 5th Sunday meeting as well.