Sunday, March 1, 2009

Kailene Storytelling

I entered Kailene into the Manila Elementary School Storytelling Festival. She had to memorize a story and tell it to her Kindergarten class. It took about a week but she memorized the book "My mother never listens to me", with actions, and was ready to do it in front of her class. Her class loved it and since she was the only one (not only in her class but in the whole Kindergarten) to enter she moved on to the next round. She then had to tell her story in front of 3 judges. She was so nervous her legs were shaking. When we left the room, she told me that she should have thought of the judges in their underwear and maybe she wouldn't have been so nervous (advice from her older brother). The winner of the lower (K-3) and upper (4-6) was going to be announced during a school assembly. But, first, they wanted her to tell her story in front of the whole school. I wasn't sure she would be able to do it because she was nervous just to do it front of 3 judges. On the way to the school, which is less than a mile, she was crying and telling me she didn't want to do it. "I can't do it" she kept saying which my reply was " You CAN do anything you say you can." I told her she didn't have to do it but it's  a cute story and she does a good job and everyone wants to hear her story. A little bit of bribery helped too. When they called her name she got up there and did the whole story all by herself. I only had to prompt her a couple of times. I was in shock. She did such an amazing job. I was so proud of her. I don't think I would have had the courage to do that.  She won the lower division. She got a cool trophy which she is proud of and shows it to everyone. She now has to do her story in front of the storytelling festival judges, which she is not happy about because she is tired of during it and doesn't want to do it  anymore. I only got her to do this video for Emma, her cousin in Texas. So here you go Emma. We miss you and wish you lived closer. Way to go, Kailene!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so cute! What a great job she did. I hope she changes her mind and decides to do it for the festival judges, she's absolutely adorable!!!

Jilleen said...

When my kids got home that day they were so excited to tell me about her telling the story in front of the whole school. They thought she did an awesome job.