Friday, September 3, 2010

Breast cancer


My sister has breast cancer. Totally unexpected. It's happening so fast, I don't even think I have had time to comprehend it all. She had surgery to remove the lump today (Friday). She is getting a double masectomy. Even though it's only in one, she feels that she needs to remove both. Now we are told that she tested positive in her lymph nodes...not good. This was suppose to be the" good" cancer. Now some of our fears are coming true. She will have to have chemo and radiation. It might have spread, we don't know yet. This shouldn't be happening to her. She is too young (38). She has young kids (ages 13-2). I don't understand. This has been a very emotional day for me. I don't know how to deal with it. I can't even go to the hospital. I don't think I am handling it well. I'm angry. This shouldn't happen to her. She is so positive and upbeat about everything. She has a way with people. Everyone adores her.
She was told a year ago that it was just a cyst and just to keep an eye on it. They didn't do an ultrasound, they should have. Then they said she will just have to have radiation but now it's worse than they thought so she will have to have chemo and radiation. She is going to lose her hair. My sisters are talking about shaving their hair. I don't know if I can. Am I too conceited? This is really hard. She just wanted to get this out and move on with her life. We have been praying and fasting for her. Her name is in many temples including the prayer roll of the general authorities. I know we shouldn't ask why but I am. Why her? Why now? Why aren't our prayers being answered? Nothing seems to matter now...I just want DeLayne to get better quickly and life to get back to normal.

3 comments:

Reynolds Rap said...

Hello, I was just passing through reading others blogs - knowing that I should be updating mine!!

Anyway, I just wanted you to know that you and your sister are in my prayers. I have had a lot of cancer strike my family and understand totally what you are going through. There is a reason that God has allowed this terrible diesase to attack your sister, we just don't know what God's plan is. He is the almighty and knows what is best - even if we don't understand.

When my brother died one year ago from cancer that was an end result of Agent Orange in Vietnam, I too had a hard time adjusting to his dignoises. What was worse, was that he was totally in denial until about a week before he died. I miss him, but know that he is in a better place with the rest of my family that has passed before him - most from cancer.

My mother-in-law had breast cancer and had a radical double and she is now 8 years out. We were worried, but all things are possible with prayer.

God bless you and your family.

Marie Reynolds
reynoldsrap61@blogspot.com

Jilleen said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your sister. Our natural reaction is to question why. So don't beat yourself up over it. It seems like at a general conference not too long ago, (but I could be totally wrong) someone gave a talk about not asking "why is this happening", but instead ask "what can I learn" or do or something like that. I have used that statement (even though I haven't looked up the source yet) during our trial with Nate's accident to keep focused on the more positive aspect of a not so awesome situation. Some days are easier than others. My prayers are with you, your sister and family.

Merfy said...

I am so sorry Charalece! Hang in there and know that she is in our prayers too!