Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Missionary youth conference


I have wanted to do a missionary experience for the youth for a long time. Finally, the time was right and the leaders put together (in 2 weeks!) a missionary youth conference. Because I had the ideas and asked other wards what they did, I was in charge. It was a huge project. I ate, slept and even dreamt about this missionary conference. It was a huge undertaking but I had wonderful leaders to help and a very supportive bishopric.
Each youth were called on a mission, paired up with a companionship and assigned to a district. They received a handbook filled of rules and guidelines. Choosing a companionship was much more difficult than anticipated. It became a very spiritual experience for those involved. We did ask a lot of these youth and, like always, they stepped up and took it seriously and rose to the occasion.
One of my favorite nights was when they went "tracking". We gave the youth a list of members from the ward and they needed to find their "golden family". The youth did not like to be rejected and when you asked the families, they didn't like to slam the door on them either. The ward members impressed me with their acting abilities.
The highlight for me was the testimony meeting. Each youth has the opportunity to go into a ward members home and teach them the first lesson that missionaries teach about the restoration and Joseph Smith. Our youth have such powerful testimonies. Our church is in good hands with these youth. At the end, the bishop released them which was extremely touching. Our bishop is emotional but this seemed different. For a couple of minutes, he couldn't get his bearings and it was complete silence. The Spirit was unrestrained and undeniable. A moment I will never forget.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

I'm so happy for you, Charalece. It sounds like it was a huge success!