Thursday, November 5, 2009

Bread recipe

By popular demand (okay, request of 2 people), I am putting the recipe for homemade bread on my blog. I have a Kitchenaid so you can double it if you have something bigger (ex Bosch)

3 c whole wheat flour (freshly grounded, within a months time)
1/3 c vital wheat gluten
1 1/4 T instant yeast (I use SAF yeast)
2 1/2 c very warm tap water

Mix all four ingredients and mix for a minute. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes (this is called sponging)

1 T salt
1/3 c oil
1/3 c honey or 1/2 c sugar (honey is better!)
1 1/4 T bottled lemon juice

Add the next 4 ingredients. Mix for a minute.

2-2/12 c WHITE (bread) flour (you can use wheat but we like the taste of both flours)

Add flour 1 cup at a time, mixing between each cup. Add enough flour so the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Mix for about 6-10 minutes. This should make a soft dough that when you touch it, it springs back and dough is not left on your finger.

Preheat oven to lukewarm. Put dough onto oiled counter top and divide and shape into loaves and place in bread pans. I usually spray my bread pans with pam so it comes out easier. Put dough in the lukewarm oven and let it rise. Once the dough reaches the top of the pan, turn oven to 350 degrees. Do not remove the bread. Bake for 30 minutes (start timing when you turn the oven to 350 degrees). This recipe makes 2 loaves. Enjoy! Yummy!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you!!!

Merfy said...

Yes, thank you. I love the new term I learned and I think I will use it in a sentence:

"When I sleep in, instead of going running with my friends, I am sponging."