Saturday, October 23, 2010

It'a a freak show

My sister, who has cancer, decided to shave her head on Friday. She was tired of it coming out all over the place. I also think it's being able to control something since nothing with cancer is within your control. She decides when her hair goes, not the chemo. I could tell that she was hesitant because she still had a good head of hair after 2 treatments (she actually was thinking she was going to beat the odds and maybe not lose her hair at all) but because she wanted to do it with family and friends and the weather was getting colder, she decided to go along with it. At first she was was looking at our faces for a reaction because she had no mirror and could not see herself and so we gave her a mirror and she freaked! "What am I doing?" she would ask. There were a lot of jokes and comments that she looks like someone from the 80's (especially her mohawk stage) and lots and lots of encouragement and praise on how beautiful she looks. All was well until she looked at my dad. "Oh don't cry dad" she said and as I looked at my dad, we all lost it. Tears were streaming down his face as he looked at his daughter. I wondered what thoughts were going through his mind as he watched his daughter have to shave her head. It was a tender moment between father and daughter. She really does look beautiful. I liken it to being pregnant. Most of us our not at our best when we are pregnant (sick, fat, etc) but there is a glow about us when we are pregnant. That is the same with someone who has cancer. They are beautiful! And don't her eyes stand out.
I was thankful that not everyone shaved their head. I don't know if you remember but when we first learned about her cancer, there was talk of shaving head, sisters and friends alike. I was not on board. I always wondered why because I would do it if she needed me to. But the more I thought about it, it all came down to This is not about me! If I shaved my head, I would get the attention and it wasn't about me! People would think I have cancer, and this was not about me! Thankfully, all decided to just let their husband and/or sons shave their head. Not too much of a sacrifice for them especially since I come from a family of baldies (father, brothers, and brother-in-laws).
Disclaimer: We did have to remind all the young lookers that we DO NOT do this out home. Cutting or shaving your head is not appropriate for young children. :)

1 comment:

Merfy said...

This made me cry too! She truly is beautiful. Thanks for sharing!